Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Dish on Kitchen Design.

So, I have designed many kitchens for people and just for fun. I am working on a farmhouse plan right now and I have been experimenting and researching good kitchen layouts. The farmhouse is just something fun that I am designing for a future home for my family so I think it is harder doing something for yourself. There are so many different things to consider when doing an entire house including a fabulously functional kitchen (which is a must).
So here are some of the things I am trying to consider for my fabulously functional farmhouse kitchen:
  1. My working triangle... It is a must to have good function in a kitchen layout. The sink, stove and refrigerator need to be within a few steps from each other.
  2. Adequate Work Space... I am a baker and I love to cook. I need a large area in my kitchen that is solely designed for rolling, chopping, pricking, plucking, cooling, sprinkling and the occasional taste testing. A large island would be perfect, designing the perfect center island in the kitchen is tricky. The design should include, plenty of outlets for small appliances, different size drawers and cupboards to store towels, small appliances and baking utensils.
  3. Lighting... I love the look and function of pendent lighting. Not only does it provide for a well lit workspace, but it creates height and softness to a sometimes bulky center island. In the rest of the kitchen, I prefer recessed lights and maybe even a beautiful antique or unique chandelier over the breakfast table.
  4. Storage... One of the most important consideration to make when designing a kitchen is to have good storage to help keep you organized. I would love to have a nice a big walk in pantry with shelves floor to ceiling. Roll out shelves in the lower cabinets are a must for getting to the back of those deep cupboards. Some glass and some solid cabinet doors are a good mix. Some things are for storage and display and some things just aren't pretty and they need to be hidden. Putting a space in the kitchen for the computer, phone, calendar and the work stuff is always a good idea to help keep the family on the same page.
  5. Seating... I love to have a kitchen full of family, friends and helpers when I am in the kitchen. Designing a kitchen with enough seating is the key to a good kitchen design. In the kitchen I am working on for the farmhouse, I have placed three counter height chairs at the center island, four-five bar stools at the peninsula bar by one of the sinks (there's three), and an eat in breakfast table with six chairs in the nook right beyond the kitchen. Kids love to help in the kitchen and I want to have plenty of room for me to teach them about the fun that they can have with food!
  6. Appliances... Finding the right appliances can be fun, but overwhelming. There are so many new products out on the market right now and some newer appliances have proven to be a great addition to a kitchen. The refrigerator and dishwasher drawers, warming drawers, commercial cook tops with griddles and water access. The ideas are endless and if you have a budget that to is endless... the sky is the limit. Good Luck with that!
  7. Texture... I love to add texture to a kitchen by using many different products. I use bead board, corbels, fabrics, glass, buther block, stone and different products for counter tops. Mixing different textures and materials give the kitchen character and warmth.

So, these are just a few of the things to consider when designing a kitchen.

Don't be afraid to use color and different materials in the kitchen to add warmth and character. The kitchen is the center of the home and an important place to not only entertain family and friends but to share memories and laughter for many years to come.

Many Blessings from Our Kitchen to Yours!

dana

2 comments:

Donna Lynn said...

Hi Dana,
Loved your someday kitchen! Great design ideas, I do have my dream home, but...the kitchen leaves much to be desired! I had the kitchen of my dreams at the last house, the bathroom too, but we did not have dream neighbors and an awful dirty bumpy road, sooooo, I will keep my dream house as is!

I so enjoy "visiting" with you and Sue, hope your having a lovely Wed. where you are!

XO,
DL

New York Kitchen Design said...

Great post. Your tips and ideas on kitchen designs are very amazing. Like clothing or furniture, kitchen comes in many styles.